Monday, April 18, 2011

Article: Stay Loose: Stretches For Runners

When I read this article I recognized every one of these stretches: it was what we used to do at the start of Cross Country practice. But since I got back into running, I don't stretch before or after my runs. That is most likely why I pulled a muscle in my leg. As soon as it feels better, I am going to do these stretches before and after I run in hopes that it prevents further injury. I can't be pulling leg muscles too often when I'm desperately trying to ready myself for a 5K.

"There's an endless number of runners who seem perfectly able to squeeze in many hours of running every week but who just don't seem to have the time to stretch for five or ten minutes before and after. Find the time.

Sure, it's not as fun as hitting the road, and the benefits may not be as immediately obvious. But a good and consistent stretching program can save you a lot of trouble and keep you running when you might otherwise become injured. Along with training gently and choosing the right shoes, stretching is the most important thing you can do to protect your body from the rigors of the road. You'll also find that the benefits of stretching include reduced muscle soreness after running and even better athletic performance."

Read the entire article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment